AFROGIRLMEMOIRS

Everyday Life

Catch Your Dreams

Have you noticed how farfetched dreams have been made to seem? I’m sure we all have BIG DREAMS that we feel so strongly about, and great ideas that run through our minds. But we attempt to analyze the possibility of realizing them, a small voice tells us that there is no way we will ever make it.

It always seems like those who manage to make it BIG, and I’m talking movie stars, CEOs, millionaires e.t.c. – those we always see but can never touch – are a different breed of human specie.

We always think that things were always easy for these people in particular, and that they found their breakthrough the moment they went out to find it. It only seems like that because all we can see now is their glow and HUGE SUCCESS. But what really matters, which would likely encourage you to go after your dreams, is what it took for them to get to where they are today.

So, here’s where I step in, with a few keys and pointers that can put you on the right path to achieving your dream goals in life:

1) BELIEVE: Nothing ever starts without you first believing that you are able to do it. Even if there is a 99% chance of things working out, the 1% could be just all you need. Without believe, there’s no push to try.

2) REASON & PASSION: Passion could be all you need to chase your dream, but then again it is just the engine-starter. There has to be a reason why you want something so badly, to keep you moving. If what you classify as a reason is not legit enough, then chances are that you might have to rethink your motives, or review your goals. Your reason for wanting something will determine your willingness to work hard to achieve your goal, and also guarantee that when trials come your way, you won’t be bashed from side to side beyond recovery. Brief, you need a reason to not give up.

3) CALCULATE & PLAN: This is where you will have to do a lot of homework. Now that you believe, have the passion and found a reason, the next thing that will help get you in the right mindset is looking at how far you’ll have to jump to reach the finish point. To better explain, you will need to sit down with a paper and a pen (I prefer a pencil so I erase), and cook up a plan on how you are planning to achieve your goal.

First, write down the steps, tools and people you know you will need; you may need to do some research on this one, and it’ll be a good opportunity to ask any questions you may have regarding your interest. If it’s something like a business, inquire about licensing and other legal protocols that may be required to have it up and running. If it’s something more on the creative side, see what classes or certifications you could take up in order to sharpen yourself.

When you’ve figured it all out, make a checklist if you will, and cross out the tools and/or skills you know you possess already so that you can easily eye-point what’s to-do, and in this way also track your progress so you stay motivated. Once you have a strong plan of attack, and ingredient list, you are ready to go hunting.

Again, always remember to remind yourself that you can do it. Success does not come easy, and you’ll have to be up for the challenge to make it through.

4) PUTTING YOURSELF OUT THERE: Now this is where many of us stop, turn around, and run for our dear lives.

The one thing that holds people back from doing things is the haunting thoughts of “What if I fail?” “What if I’m not good enough?” “What if I look stupid?”

Alright, I won’t lie and say that these thoughts never frequently cross my mind, but it’s something I’ve had to overcome and work on with time, and getting it out of your system is the best thing you can ever do for yourself. Because, believe it or not, you’re not the only one who thinks they are not good enough for something, and while you may be worrying over how you can make an impression on people, they are thinking the exact same thing.

We’re human, and it’s only humane for us to want to be accepted and approved by others, so never think that you’re alone on this one. It may be a weakness you will need to work on, but it totally curable.

SO don’t be afraid to put yourself out there, and try out for things, because that’s the only way you will be gain the hands-on experience, grow and improve in the areas that you need to. NO, I repeat, NOBODY who tries something for the first time ever executes it with perfection – unless by a mere coincidence and miracle.

So don’t raise the bar too high for yourself, but lower it just enough so that even if you don’t do well that first time, the distance from your mark to the goal mark won’t be that impossible to attain. AND don’t think that because you tried it once (and maybe failed or succeeded), you can either give up or pat yourself on the back and relax. You should be ready to learn everyday (who knew school didn’t end after that postsecondary degree), and the key to being successful is never feeling you know it all and no longer need to put in the extra effort. Even star athletes still have to train regularly to maintain and improve.

5) PATIENCE: This one is REALLY important; as important as all the other steps. Success does not come overnight, so don’t be expecting the results to show the next week. It’s like working out; It takes time to see the desired results. So if the goal you’re aiming for is not so hard, then you could expect to be getting results soon, but if the picture is much bigger (starting a business for example), then you’d better give yourself a couple or more years before you can begin questioning why you can’t see any sign of progress.

It may also be helpful to ask experts in this area how long it usually takes to see results/success, so that way you won’t be losing sleep or banging your head on the wall when everything seems to be on a standstill.

That being said, nobody said it will be easy, but nobody says it’s impossible either. So if you are willing to put in the effort, and work extremely hard, know that it won’t be in vain.

“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars”

XoxoImage

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Information

This entry was posted on May 24, 2012 by and tagged , , , , , , , .
%d bloggers like this: